Monday 21 March 2016

Dear Born Muslim

Dear Born Muslim

As Salamu Alaikum, There are a few things that I'd like to tell you, Revert to Born Muslim. First of all this meme pretty much sums up how I feel sometimes when you ask me my reversion story. Especially when you've just met me.


I'm picking on you, because none Muslims tend to say "Oh you converted? Cool." and Reverts just accept I'm one of them. No questions asked. Born Muslims however...tend to drop jaws, and ask for my entire life and reversion story....every...single...time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed I reverted at all. And I'm genuinely happy when people ask, and want to know how I came to Islam.

But...please do't ask within minutes of meeting me. Because I'm much more than my reversion story. And more to the point; it's not just a story. It's someones life. My life. And I'd like you to get to know me first, and build up a friendship before I tell you the details of the most personal aspect of my relationship with God. And please, remember and accept, that sometimes people have to walk one path before they arrived at this one. And they might not want to share details of that journey. So please don't push. 

Please don't treat me like a rare commodity, and then drop me once the novelty of knowing a Revert has worn off. It's really annoying when that happens. Because to be honest, I'm not a spectacle to gawp at and admire. When you treat me differently, for better or for worse, you're unintentionally creating a divide. An "Us vs. Them" atmosphere. And at the end of the day, we're all humans. We're all Muslims and we all bow down to the same God. And that's all that matters at the end of the day.

And please PLEASE be mindful when you speak sometimes. Please don't criticise my Salah or my punctuation. Remember...you've been doing this since you were born! I've been doing this a fraction of that time. Please be patient. I'm still learning. 
And please don't say things like "I feel so bad you'll have nobody to share Iftar with during Ramadan". Or "I feel so bad you'll be spending eid alone." Make friends with me, come over, invite me over, I don't bite!

Please don't think that just because we probably come from very different cultures, that we won't have anything in common. We already have Islam in common, and that's huge! I reckon I could learn a lot from you, and maybe you could learn a little from me. We should do it over coffee and cake sometime!

And most of all please. Remember I love you for the sake of Allah, and just want to be accepted and loved back.

- Hols



15 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have joined the Muslim ummah! I wish you all the best and may Allah help you practice Islam in the best possible manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of something like that :/ Where I live people are ashamed to ask such things. If someone tell them they're converts they'll just say "ok" and that's it just because they don't want to make you feel like you're different and things like that :) But I understand your point of view it might be annoying

    ReplyDelete
  3. May Allah continue to guide you. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad to hear people act like this, there is no difference in the eyes of Allah from a 'born' Muslim or a revert, all that matters is what type of heart you have and how you treat people. It's not right for people to look down at anyone, from a different religion or culture it should not matter. May Allah make it easy for you and guide the misguided.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you have to feel that way, from a born muslim's perspective, it's just so inspiring to meet someone who found their way to Allah on their own without it being handed to them on a platter. But i do get you, sister...there is definitely more to a person than her revert story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said sister, I'm glad you bought this up. Its so true! In the eyes of Allah we are all the same, that's what we should be focussing on

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aslamoalikum Maria, congratulations and a vary warm welcome, May Allah wrap us all in the best dress that is of Taqwa, i apoligize on the the behalf of all born Muslims that have hurt your feelings and your personality,
    Let us all pray and strive to get the highest place in Jannah.
    Aameen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh I find it awkward🙍 I just hate when people do this.. Like when they see someone on wheelchair back in the 80's!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know right! LOL! Sharing this post on twitter:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww...its horrendous if some people are doing that too. May Allah guide them and sister love you :)
    www.hinasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. May Allah unite our hearts in sincere love and compassion. And May He for Whose sake you love your sisters, love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry if that is happening to you. I am a born muslim and one of my closest friends is a revert muslimah. We met at uni, I never asked her story, she told me it herself.....and the novelty of knowing her never wore off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this Holly, I'm sorry on behalf of us all for the thoughtless comments we may make! This has helped me to remember to be more thoughtful in future insha'Allah :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to community dear....I have known some who have accepted the religion with grace and they abide and follow more than me...SubhanAllah...So just ignore those comments....

    ReplyDelete
  15. In absolute adore with this blog post! I'm a revert myself so I know exactly what you mean. May Allah guide us all. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete